Monday, July 4, 2011

Success for an Ex


Normally I wouldn't be happy for an ex, but in this case, I am most pleased.  My ex texted me to let me know that he and his new bride were finally pregnant and were expecting their bundle of joy in November.  My ex and I have been friends for more than half our lives.  We bumped around for about nine and a half years before calling it quits (and a few other choice names) more than a decade ago.  He married soon after our split and I had the unique satisfaction of seeing how Karma (specifically: Kamma Niyama—Consequences of one's actions) works first hand.  The word on the street about Karma's nature is true, by the way...

After the karmic retribution he weathered, I could no longer hold bitterness in my heart and I forgave this man for breaking what was left of my heart and tearing what was then my already tumultuous world asunder.  Sometimes you need to be completely destroyed to rebuild stronger.

My ex's new bride is the woman who brings joy to his heart and makes him whole.  She is now bringing a babe to their hearth and they could not be happier.  He will make a wonderful father now that he has found himself and is at peace with who he has become as a person.  I am pleased for them and wish him and his new family all the happiness in the world.  I made this quilt for them:
What's black and white and red all over?
I saw this pattern in a friend's quilt book and decided I HAD to do it for my ex's new baby.  It's perfect. Spatially interesting, baby friendly colours, and a fun pattern that can be used for an educational tool (matching, counting, all kinds of fun games). I love the way it came out.  I will do more like this design in the future as it is just too much fun and too good a stash buster to only do once!  ;)   Not to mention it goes together super fast!
Back detail
 My ex is a cellist, or at least he was in High School.  He was amazing and had a real gift.  I hope he picks it up again once his little one is old enough to be encouraged to explore his/her musical talent.  I chose this backing fabric - parchment printed with musical notes as a nod to his beautiful gift of music.
detail of fabric and stitching

I went with a larger stitch to not only show off my stitching but to add to "that dorky handmade look" (see: http://lisaboyer.blogspot.com/) I love so much about hand stitched quilts.  The fabric is pretty busy, so the stitching gets to stand out or blend in as needed and I feel it just completes the whole picture.

Happiness and joy to you old friend, may you be blessed with long life that is full of love.

Peach Out, Apricots,
Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment