Saturday, July 16, 2011

The 1980s are calling...

A taste of things to come.

It's pink (and black), boldly so.  I did this quilt for a friend in her favourite colours.  I went with the braid design for several reasons.  One she usually wears her hair in a braid and two, it looks sooooo cool with these colours.  I started gathering pinks and black material throughout my travels, a yard here, a half yard there, a fat quarter, whatever caught my eye or tickled my fancy.

Whole shootin' match.
Kinda tacky, definitely unique, this quilt was a fun one to make.  I actually combined brick and braid in the design of this one.  I used the brick as the middle sashing to flesh it out a little.  It adds some more visual interest to an already burgeoning visual palate, but when you are going to go bold, go all the way!  

It was cut and pieced in late 2009 but finished in approximately February of 2010.  I used a bed sheet for the batting as we decided to go with a summer quilt weight.  Sheets make for interesting batting.  My preference is still the Warm & Natural Cotton, but I've done: fleece, poly, poly cotton, and now a bed sheet as my quilt innards...whatever works - right?!

Close up of the backing fabric
The little doggie prints and hearts are in honour of my friend's late little Chinese Crested, Bria.  She was a wonderful dog and left paw prints on the hearts of everyone who knew and loved her.  This backing fabric couldn't have been more appropriate as it all turned out.  

I will probably do more of this design as I like both brick and braid and the scrappier the better.  LOVES me a funky scrap quilt!
Peach Out Apricots,
Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment