Monday, July 4, 2011

Simple as ABC

all
10-12 stitches per inch
This wall hanging type quilt was the first time I was able to achieve the 10-12 stitches per inch I wanted to prove I could do.  Heirloom level quilting is what most hand quilters are looking to aspire to.  I have not been quilting as long as most but I am able to do to a pretty damn good job.  I have had people ask me how I get my sewing machine to do that stitch.  Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.  ;)  Lately I am working on getting even stitches on both front and back and therefore they are larger, but I like the look the larger stitch gives.  Even stitches are more important to me than the actual stitch per inch count, but with each technique comes time and practice.  I am happy to say this quilt was a huge achievement for me and I am proud to show it off.
Full quilt
I bound it in black as it was the only real logical solution given the backing fabric. As you can see below:
Back and my feet.
Detail of backing fabric.  A loosely woven riot of colour.
I love the way this one came together.  I have two or three more left to do, but it will be a while before I do another.  It is quilted with close to a half dozen different coloured threads...it was fun.  About 200hrs went into this one.

Peach Out Apricots,
Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment