Friday, July 8, 2011

Denim, Taffeta, Organza! OH MY!

Since I am not currently featuring a cotton hug I've created I thought I'd talk about one of my favourite fabric sources.

This magical place of which I speak is, of course<drum roll>

InWeave in Hawarden, IA
When you first rock up on the place you might be inclined to think , "What kind of dump is this?" The outside of the building a bit long in the tooth and looks a little shabby, but don't let the appearance fool you, once inside be prepared to be amazed and hold tight to your wallets, you are going to want to spend a lot of money!

Rug makers, upholsterers, quilters, house hold soft furnishing DIYers, you have come to the right place. Whatever you are looking for you will find, pretty much guaranteed. With so many fabrics to choose it will be hard to decide which project you want to work on first.

Myself, I go straight to the big room to the left and start mentally orgasming over all the bolts of quilting cotton. I've found some delicious hand dyes from Pakistan as well as many other wonderful patterns and colours. In the next room over (toward the stairs) are where the rolls of denim live. As do some of the funky cotton panels I've used in previous quilts. Granted it has been a few years since I have financially bruised myself in this Mecca of Fabric, but I suspect the stash is still there.

Up the stairs you will probably still find yourself in the Fabric by the Pound room. Suddenly surrounded by upholstery odds and ends, end of the roll or end of the run cottons, denim, corduroy samples, stuff and stuff and more stuff. I have, myself, found all kinds of groovy stuff that I have turned to fun soft furnishings as well as the makings of car quilts.

Back downstairs on the main floor, on the other side of the room from the Temple of Quilting Cottons you may well find yourself in the presence of the fleece bin. Be sure to tether off before descending. I have had to be rescued a few times. ;)

Beyond the fleece den of iniquity you should find shelves of miscellaneous fabrics like swimsuit material, rip stop and other goodies you might not otherwise be expecting.

Be prepared to be pleasantly pleased with the courteous staff, the great prices and the unbelievable selection of fabric and materials available to us mere mortals. If you should survive your foray into the interior of the InWeave Warehouse you are sure to want to come back again and again.

Find out more about InWeave at: http://www.inweavefabric.com/pages/about-in-weave-22.html

Peach Out Apricots,
Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment