Sunday, August 14, 2011

Kelpie Quilt - Breakin' the law (image intense)


The Kelpie Quilt is a different sort of design for me. Sometime ago my hanai* sister, Carra, had used this design for a hobby site of ours and I was quite taken with this design.  I decided about 5-6 years ago I was going to make this design into a quilt.  I just had to learn how to quilt and figure out how to put the whole thing together into a cohesive design.  Sometimes things have to gel for a while before I complete them.  As it was during the gelling period I got in on a fabu sale on designer sheets in a rainbow of colours, which I had specifically picked out for this and the matching project.  When I finally did start this project I chose not to use regular quilting cotton, I went with my marbled sheet material - a big no no or so I am told.  Whatever, it was there and I used it.  

When I first started this quilt I did the kelpie centre piece.  I did it my way...that is I duct taped the print out to my living room window and then proceeded to duct tape the fabric and start tracing with my handy dandy - untested Crayola Washable Markers.  After I was finished with this process I had to leave things for a while because I didn't know what I wanted to do to finish the quilt...so I let the middle section sit for a year and a half...then when I got ready to work it again, I ironed it to make it flat - GASP!  

At this point I went for broke and used black, brown and green on the rest of the quilt units, what the hell I figured.  If you have not guessed, I am a quilter who likes to bend, break and generally cause mishap and mayhem with the rules.

Design stitched into Moss Green panels

    Design stitched into Turquoise corner squares
  •  

Overall the design came together perfectly and quilting was fast and fun and I was able to finish the whole quilt in about a month's time.  It was bound in denim - which the quilt's new owner chose for the binding, at first I wasn't sure, but it really brought the whole quilt together nicely.  Note: denim is interesting to work with...

Click to view detail

The backing fabric was done in the marbled turquoise and shows the full design of stitching. 
Click for detail of Back and stitching.

As you can see from the images, all the Crayola Washable Marker ink came out, even after sitting for a year, and being ironed...I washed it on hot and let it soak overnight.  I couldn't be more pleased.  For the Win, Crayola!  For the WIN!

I am currently designing the companion piece: The Phoenix.

Peach Out Apricots!
Morg

*Hanai loosely means: to be adopted in Hawai'ian.

No comments:

Post a Comment