Sunday, January 20, 2013

Operation Dungeon Do Over - January update

As promised, pictures:

Greens ready for trimming.


 Progress is coming along, across the top of the shelves are the more than a yard cuts.  These have been organised by colour or colour group depending on the amount of fabric.  I was pleased to find these file boxes at WalMart for a reasonable price.  They will serve me well. 


 My table is a mess in this picture but you get the general idea of where I am going with this mess.  The pop up laundry bin on the left is where I dump my scraps and when the polyester bag is full I sew it up and instant pet bed!
 

 
 The future pressing table is still a mess with stuff accumulating on it all the time.  It will eventually be cleared off and a large piece of lumber will be added.  I will probably use duck or canvas for the ironing surface and use some type of material for the padding, not sure yet, but when I get there I'll know what I need. 

 
Update Reports:

Fleece - I'll start with fleece today as there has been a little progress but nothing more than rehousing.  I am using the "special boxes" for fleece and after this past weekend have enough to contain all the cut stuff!  This is great!  I now have all the main cuts in labeled boxes even the mice and wedgies.  At last!
Organised Chaos.

Cottons - I just finished the Bin of Greens.  The bins are a group of plastic cat litter containers designated to hold my strips and scraps when I first started obtaining such fabrics from friends and strangers.  The number of bins expanded to about eighteen and now four remain unsorted.  With the completion of the reds I am going to tackle the greens.  I started presorting these into three piles:  more than a foot, less than a foot, bits and pieces.  Bits and pieces go straight into the trays for the applique scraps.  Less than a foot get subdivided by width and then get cut into bricks and squares.  More than a foot get divided by width and then are put away in the appropriate colour condos.


Still in progress is The Bonnie Hunter Scrap Users Project.  This is my official label for the process of going through the cut/sorted strips and making them into easily usable pieces.  As I break from bins and other organising I go through the cut strips and pull out the pieces that are shorter than 12" and cutting these pieces into squares and bricks (2x width in length).  So far I've completed the pinks and purples in all 4 widths.



Charms have been divided up into bins by colour groups.  The single box was bursting at the proverbial seams so it had to be done.  I am steadily filling these boxes as I work my way through the colour bins. 








It is such a delight to work through this organisational process.  As bins are emptied and banker boxes pile up in the corner I look at the work I've accomplished and smile.  Things are coming together "sew" very nice and neat.  

 Guess that is about it.  Hoping to get some more pet beds made with the confetti left overs.  I have plenty of polyester waiting to be repurposed!  ;)

Confetti leftovers destined for pet beds.
Peach out Apricots.
heart, Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment