Friday, February 10, 2012

Shocking Pink and Skully

Detail of sashing and taste of pink.
Not much else to say about this one other than it's so shocking pink and gurlie it's really quite cute.  This quilt came together about the same time that I did my ex's quilt.  For some reason I keep coming back to this "stacked coin" pattern with sashing.  I dunno.  It seems to fulfill my need to be scrappy but have some semblence of organisation.  (And it's sinfully easy to assemble and sew.)

The whole quilt in all its garish glory.
"Shocking Pink and Skully" as I am calling it, was made from the scraps of my friend's pink braided quilt from previous entries.  I have a LOT of pink fabric left over and since I used most of the black on a previous baby quilt I thought I'd see what would happen when a pile of pinks get together and make a quilt. 

The sashing  - an odd ribbon print - was another serendipitous find in the many boxes and bags of fabrics I had received from my dear friend, Mary Johnson, when they moved to Lander, WY.  I remember briefly looking at this fabric and thinking, "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"  But as with fine wine and diamonds, some things take time.  I knew immediately this was going to be the perfect material for the sashing, and as it turned out, it was.

Detail of backing fabric.
The backing fabric is a darling flannel I picked up at Joann's Fabrics (as I recall).  I am a complete sucker for pirate fabric of all kinds and this was no exception.  Purple skulls with pink bows and roses...yup, I'll take a yard of that, please. 

Binding is always such a hard choice, fortunately the person who bought the quilt decided on pink and I have to say it brought the whole scheme (or is that scream) together nicely.  What's another tone of pink when we have so many!  My other choice was going to be black binding with pink stitching.  Adorable either way!

Peach Out Apricots.
Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment