Friday, February 3, 2012

Random Squares and Serendipity


Amish Inspired
Pieced in the summer of 2011 and quilted in December of 2011, this quilt started as a plan to do an Amish-type quilt with quiet, conservative colours, a simple square set design, respectable and reserved.  Then the yellow happened, and the purple and that oh not-so humble maroon and that scandalous plaid...oh my!  Well, so much for the quiet conservative look. 
the whole shooting match!

With the original plan shot to hell, I decided to press on anyway and go ahead and sew it together.  At first I was dubious and frankly, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the resulting quilt once I had it pieced and pinned.  I bagged it and shelved it until I ran out of projects.  

detail of corner and back

Once I had the quilt out of the bag and the needle threaded, I had someone at work ask me who this quilt was for, I stated it was for sale and price.  Even before the first quilting stitches it was sold!  This quilt I figured would never be wanted by anyone found a home even before it was finished.  Once the quilt was finished and put through the abuse cycle (wash and dry on HOT) I was pleasantly surprised to see how super cool it turned out.  I was a little reticent to let it go, but I am happy that is it loved by its new owner. 

Detail of back
Sometimes the things you have big plans for fall through.  Sometimes it's for the best...  Serendipity rules!
Peach Out, Apricots.
Morg

No comments:

Post a Comment